The public transportation system holds three organised transportation types, as follows: trams – 3 lines, trolleybuses – 8 lines and buses – 24 lines, which serve the transportation need on the entire surface of the city (in order to see the city's map, please visit the page
Cluj-Napoca is situated in the central area of Transylvania, it is located in the centre of Cluj county, being its residence, and it is crossed by the European international road E 60 (Bucharest-Oradea-Budapest-Vienna).
Railway connections (http://www.infofer.ro/):
a. international - 2 possibilities of connection with Central and Western Europe R 406 CORONA, IC 20 ADY ENDRE.
b. internal direct connections with all the major cities and the capital.
The International Airport Cluj-Napoca – Someşeni (Aeroportul Internaţional Cluj-Napoca – Someşeni) is placed within the city.
Cluj-Napoca is connected through internal airlines with Bucharest, Timişoara, and external ones with Bergamo, Bologna, Budapest, Chişinău, Clermont-Ferand (occasionally), Florence, Munich, Split (occasionally), Treviso, Verona, Trieste, Vienna, Frankfurt, transportation being ensured by 2 airway companies (Tarom and Carpatair).
Being set at the crossing of several roads of national and international importance, Cluj has constituted a permanent tourist attraction, due to its historic monuments, as well as its rich cultural and scientific activities. The city houses inestimable values in its museums, and libraries of national importance.
|FRANCISCAN CHURCH AND MONASTERY
The ensemble is one of the oldest constructions from the county of Cluj. The church was first attested in documents in 1272, and reconstructed in Baroque style between 1728-1745. The monastery is built in Gothic style with the support of John of Hunedoara, and has a heritage consisting of various objects used in liturgy, altars, series of old manuscripts and a library.
The church was built with the support of empress Maria Theresa starting with the year 1778, at the request of the Franciscan order, who have settled for the first time in Cluj in 1486. After periods of stagnation in the construction process, the church was finished with the funds donated by the empress. The construction of the tower was executed after the drafts of the architect Johann E. Blaumann.
|THE MĂNĂŞTUR-CALVARIA CHURCH
The monument was established by the Benedictine order, who built a church in Romanesque style at the end of the 11th century. Between 1470-1508 a Gothic church was built in the place of the old, Romanesque building, from which only the choir and the sacristy have survived. The present day church is the product of a reconstruction from 1820.
|SAINT MICHAEL'S CHURCH
The church is one of the most important and precious architectural monuments from Transylvania. It was built mostly between 1350-1487 by the burghers, shortly after the locality received the rank of free royal town. The church's tower was built in 1860. Some of the 15th century frescoes have been preserved, its baroque pulpit and altars are of high value, and the stained glass windows were executed at the beginning of the 20th century.
Raised with the support of king Mathias I. Corvin (of Hunedoara) at the second half of the 15th century for the Franciscan order, the hall church has one of the widest naves in Central and Eastern Europe. The building houses some rare furnishing pieces: the pulpit dating from 1646 is a fine example of the transylvanian Renaissance, part of the wooden furniture dates from the 17th century, and was executed by carpenters from Bistriţa, the upper part from the organ was built in Rococo style in 1766. A unique feature is the collection of epitaphs belonging to members of noble families, most of them painted on silk or paper.
The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity is the oldest baroque ecclesiastic construction from Transylvania, built originally for the Jesuit order between 1718-1824. It's architect is unknown, but the church's ground-plan takes as a model the first Jesuit church, Il Gesù.
After the order was dissolved in Transylvania, the church and monastery was taken over by the order of the Piarists. The church's uniqueness stands in the fact that it has retained its original, baroque interior, without it being rearranged after the 2nd Vatican Council.
|THE HOUSE OF KING MATTHIAS
The burgher house built in the 15th century is an other historic monument which defines the medieval town of Cluj. King Mathias I. was born in this house in the year 1443. After successive restorations the house's façade was given back its presumably original aspect.
The Bánffy family was one of the wealthiest and most influential noble families of Transylvania from the 17th century onwards, this statement being underlined also by their castle from Bonţida, named the Transylvanian Versailles. Count George Bánffy, the governor of Transylvania, commissioned the palace from Johann E. Blaumann, which was executed in Baroque style between 1773-1786.
The palace is one of the finest baroque historic monuments from Transylvania, which uses as architectural decoration allegories from ancient Greek mythology.
A university was established in Cluj in 1872 with four faculties: medicine, liberal arts, natural sciences and law. The building, presently housing eight faculties, was built for the need of the institution between 1893-1903.
|THE DEFENSIVE WALLS OF CLUJ'S FORTIFICATION
The first walls and towers for the protection of the settlement were raised in the 13th century. The burg of 7 ha lay at the right bank of the river Someş. Two centuries later the town, with the vast contribution of the guilds, raised a second line of stone fortification walls with gate- and defensive towers, which were designed to protect the free royal town.
Only a few elements have survived and more or less kept their original aspects: the Firemen's Tower, the Tailors' Tower, and wall fragments.